Total Credits: 3 Self Study
This course will:
• Create awareness of strategies to address substance abuse issues, including risk assessment, diversion, safe use, appropriate prescribing protocols, storage and disposal of controlled substances
• Reframe the way we look at addiction to better understand our culture’s desire to medicate
• Present alternatives to opioids in managing pain
• Explore the impact of trauma on individuals, families, and communities
• To provide information on Illinois regulations and federal laws concerning the prescribing of opioid controlled substances
• Understand best practices of using the Illinois Prescription Monitoring System.
Dr. Sahni completed her residency program in Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine from the University of Southern California. She is specialized to provide diagnosis and treatment related to TMD disorders, facial pain and headaches, neuralgias, bruxism, sleep disordered breathing, oral mucosal lesions and oral cancer detection. Her treatment methodology utilizes non-surgical and minimally invasive techniques. She is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orofacial Pain and a Fellow of the American Academy of Orofacial Pain.
Dr. Larry Williams graduated from the University of Tennessee College of Dentistry in 1982 with subsequent service of 30 years in the United States Navy Dental Corps. He currently serves as an Associate Professor at the Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine- Illinois where provides mentorship and preclinical skill development to 1st and 2nd year dental students. In addition to his educational duties, he is currently serving as the Co-Chair of the Tobacco Cessation Subcommittee for the Illinois Tobacco Prevention and Control State Plan Work Group, and as a Board Member for the Skokie, Illinois Board of Health. He is a member of the American Dental Association, Academy of General Dentistry (Mastership-LLSR), and holds board certified status in the American Board of General Dentistry. Dr. Williams is also a Fellow in the American College of Dentists, International College of Dentists, and Academy of Dentistry International. Dr. Williams recently served as the President of the Illinois Academy of General Dentistry and as President of the West Side Branch of the Chicago Dental Society. Dr. Williams completed his Masters of Public Health in May of 2017.
Dr. William B. Hamel III is a 1983 graduate of UIC College of Dentistry. His wife is named Belinda, and he has three children and two stepchildren. His son Philip is currently in dental school and expected to graduate in 2018 and join him in practice. He currently has a solo practice in Clarendon Hills, IL. He is a member of the Chicago Dental Society, Illinois State Dental Society, American Dental Association, and Academy of General Dentistry. Dr. Hamel is the chair of the ISDS Foundation's Dentists Support Program.
Please wait ...